Friday, February 24, 2017

A Breakthrough (FB Repost)

Original post here. Read all posts here.

I believe I’ve properly identified the problem I’ve been having for the last few years. It goes something like this:

I’ve had a misallocation of resources due to a skewed perception of value and ROI. Put a different way, the idea the one should spend hours out of the week paying attention to the coming and goings of politicians is foolish at best and hubris at worse. Allocating resources (mainly time) in this way is wasteful and the payoff (knowledge of events) is mostly useless information. Nassim Nicholas Taleb‘s comment about the diminishing returns on constant news watching was 100% dead on. 

Something else came to me as well. The gap between experts and laymen cannot be bridged by the consumption of fast media. It takes time, effort, mentorship and the consumption of slow media and distilled information. More slow burns than flareups. The irony is that the day I was thinking of this, I got a text from someone that showed to me just how big the gap is and demonstrated the point.

You will likely never become an expert of anything spending time reading Drudge or Salon or arguing on FB. You may glimpse expertise on FB but it is very easy for signal to get drowned in the noise, and without proper compensation, you might not even realize it.

“We are drowning in information but starved for knowledge.” John Naisbitt

#distilledinformation
#slowmedia
#misinformationage
#godeeper

No comments:

Post a Comment